YOU HAVE ENOUGH QUILTS WHEN YOUR SOUL IS FILLED,
YOUR CREATIVITY SATISFIED
AND YOUR FINGERS JUST WON'T WORK ANYMORE



Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Oldie DONE

I got another finished this week. Two done for January. This quilt has been waiting for quilting for a very long time. It's not very big - around 49" x 53". I was going to custom quilt it but in the interest of actually finishing quilts this year I decided on a panto. I quilted in a mustard coloured thread and it looks great agains the black.
I lived in a remote town when I started quilting and we had a tutor visit and we did a mystery quilt (haven't quilted that yet either - but that's the one that got me hooked). After the class she did a trunk show and I loved this quilt (and another, but can't remember that one for the moment). Anyway, the tutor told me how to make it and I scribbled down some instructions. So off I zoomed and made this quilt. 1/4 inch seams - what are they - had no idea you had to do that. And as you can tell I had no idea how to do the sides either. Had never heard of set in triangles so pondering how to do the edges I figured just do a full block and I could just cut the edges straight later.


So it's now quilted and bound (no fabric left from way back then) with a brownish fabric from a few years ago and ties in with the quilting thread colour. The bias edges played up a little but not too much.

I made this either 1994 or 1995 so it's great to be finally done. Have a few others from the same era that are waiting patiently for their release also. Just wish life would stop getting in the way of my quilting.


3 comments:

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Maggie! Well done! Love the bright colours against the black. And who cares if you followed the 'rules' it looks fabulous and it's FINISHED!! YAY! I love seeing everyone's finished projects and hearing how excited they are. Hope you're having a great weekend - Bear Hugs! KRIS

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the black with the bright colors. I turned out good I think and good to be getting some of your ufo's done I bet.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Susan said...

Oh the joy of a finish.....

Good quilt and the mustard yellow quilting must make it pop.